NCSI Vocational Rehabilitation Project
The NCSI Vocational Rehabilitation project developed a three-level model of work-related support and vocational rehabilitation. The piloting of the model has revealed best practice for delivering specialist vocational rehabilitation interventions (including health and workplace interventions) for people with cancer who have complex problems.
Three level model of cancer work support
The Three Level Model of Work Support for People with Cancer shows the structure of services required for individual patients across a spectrum of needs, from those which are straightforward to those which are highly complex.
Level 1- All patients who are in work or have the potential to work should be asked about their employment, and receive information and signposting.
Level 2- People with specific concerns or worries should be provided with resources to support self-management.
Level 3- The smaller subset of people who have complex needs should be referred to a vocational rehabilitation service for specialist support.
You can read more about the pilot sites and the evaluation findings in the NCSI Vocational Rehabilitation evaluation final report July 2012 or the evaluation summary report.
This project has added to the evidence that interventions delivered by vocational rehabilitation services improve work and health outcomes, including those for people with cancer.
Key highlights from the evaluation of the Vocational Rehabilitation project:
- Work support should be provided from point diagnosis onwards through the cancer journey
- Health professionals have a key role to play to encourage patients to think positively about work
- Patients with more complex needs require specialist Vocational Rehabilitation support to get back to work
Last updated on March 8, 2013
- NCSI VR Evaluation Final Report - Full Final Version July 2012 [PDF, 384KB]
- VR Project Preliminary Exec Summary March 2012 [PDF, 198 KB]
- NCSI Vocational Rehab Third Interim Evaluation Report Nov 2011 PDF [890 KB]
- VR 2nd interim report June 2011 [PDF, 752.26KB]
- VR Evaluation - Early Findings Sept 2010 [PDF, 240KB]
- Vocational Rehabilitation Strategy Paper [PDF, 282KB]
- NCSI VR Evaluation Final Report - Summary Final Version July 2012 [PDF, 248KB]